Rocketeer Charity: Susan G. Komen® North Texas Plano Race for the Cure

This month, Rocketeers are supporting the Susan G. Komen® North Texas Plano Race for the Cure.  Susan G. Komen® North Texas is dedicated to combating breast cancer.  They donate 75 percent of net funds raised to vital local breast health services, and invest the remaining 25 percent in national research to find the cures.  The organization empowers North Texas Residents with information about the importance of early detection and breast health.  Since 1991, Komen North Texas has invested more than $10 million into North Texas via annual community grants program to fund breast health programs and services for medically under-served North Texas residents.

Rocketeer David Goldstein nominated Komen North Texas in support of his wife, Cheryl, who was diagnosed with breast cancer in December 2013. Cheryl’s cancer was found through a routine annual mammography screening, which detected a nearly invisible, early stage but large and aggressively growing tumor. She underwent a bilateral mastectomy in February 2014, and a week later received the welcome news that the cancerous cells had not yet invaded the surrounding tissue—meaning that her survival chances are nearly 100%. If it weren’t for technical advances in high-resolution digital mammography and computer-assisted image analysis funded by organizations like the Susan G. Komen Foundation, her tumor might have gone undetected for another year, with a much less optimistic outcome. 

Cheryl has participated in the North Texas Race for the Cure for the past 15 years, and for the last several years has been a team captain. This June will be her 16th race.

The Susan G. Komen® North Texas Plano Race for the Cure takes place on Saturday, June 14th.  To register for the race or donate in support of Cheryl and the 200,000 other women who will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year, please click here.