Head Rocketeer Calvin Carter recently met with a class of MBA students at Southern Methodist University – Calvin’s alma mater – to discuss entrepreneurism, successes and lessons he has learned along the way.
The following principles, or “Calvinisms” to Rocketeers, are an integral part of the Bottle Rocket culture.
- Figure out your values early on. Share them with everyone you meet.
- Don’t do things to impress your friends. Do things you love.
- Pick one thing and take a stand for it. Never give in.
- How you do anything is how you do everything.
- Work is personal.
- Invest in yourself.
- Don’t worry too much about your competition. That’s their journey, not yours.
- Delaying is an art. Know when to use it.
- Ignore the “how” when dreaming big.
- The most important thing is to keep the most important thing the most important thing.
Calvin’s message must have resonated because the professor and students sent over 12 pages of “aha” moments, one-liners and ideas that ultimately impacted them.