taking the driveway moment out of the driveway
NPR, formerly National Public Radio, is a privately and publicly funded non-profit membership media organization that serves as a national syndicator to a network of 900 public radio stations in the United States. NPR produces and distributes news and cultural programming. NPR for iPad was Bottle Rocket’s first work-for-hire client. This engagement propelled us into the mobile market.
explore public radio in a way never before possible
Innovation and more information
The goal with the NPR for iPad app was to engage with NPR lovers and transfer the experience from a car radio to the tablet without simply porting materials. For NPR, we aimed to take the driveway moment out of the driveway and build an authentic NPR experience on the iPad.
The app focuses on several subtopics such as News, Arts, and Life, and gives users the ability to read through stories, listen to live streaming audio or older content in playlists, as well as bookmark favorite stations and programs. The NPR app transforms the way you listen to the nation’s best radio. Whether at work, jogging, driving, or enjoying a much-deserved break, users can listen to public radio on your terms. Build a custom playlist, explore live public radio stations you didn’t know existed, catch up with your favorite programs and much more.
"NPR had one of the first ever iPad apps, and it’s still one of the most useful for catching up on the news," – Time “30 Best Apps for Apple’s New iPad."
- Browse through dozens of topics
- Read stories while listening to live stations or on demand audio
- Download stories for offline reading
- Select from hundreds of NPR stories, and station’s live and on-demand streams
- Add favorite stories to your playlist
- Persistent audio player includes one-tap access to your Playlist, Hourly Newscast, Programs, and Stations
- Station Finder
- Bookmark favorite streams and podcasts
- Full-screen program guide
- iPad Launch Partner
- Apple Hall of Fame Winner
- iTunes App of the Week
- 2012 Webby Award, People’s Voice Winner
- 2012 Communication Arts Interactive Annual Winner
- 2011 Wired Magazine/Gizmodo App Guide, Editor’s Pick
- #1 News App and #3 Music App
- Featured in 40+ places in the App Store, including ‘App Essentials,’ ’What’s Hot’ and ‘Best Free Apps’